Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Brain teaser

I've got a brain teaser for you guys.

Three men go into a hotel to get a room. The clerk tells them that it is $30.00. Each man gives $10.00 to pay for the room. A few minutes after they leave the clerk decides that he overcharged them so he gives the bellhop $5.00 to take to the room. On the way up, the bellhop decides that three men can't split $5.00 so he takes $2.00 for himself. He them gives each of the men back $1.00 each. Now each man has paid $9.00 for the room. Add that to the $2.00 that the bellhop took.

9 x 3 = 27
27 + 2 = 29

Where did the other dollar go?

This proves that math is not a perfect science.

8 comments:

drunkbh said...

Have I got no takers?

drunkbh said...

you're doing it wrong. say each paid 9 plus the 2 the hellhop took. it works fine if you add. it just doesn't work if you multiply.

drunkbh said...

That made no sense at all.

drunkbh said...

I refuse to be insulted. You know me.

drunkbh said...

It's called a mathematical fallacy-when you get an incorrect answer based on LOGICAL applications. It seems that it is a frequent occurance. So, blow me!

drunkbh said...

Just so you know, I'm not mad. It takes a hell of a lot more than that to piss me off.

Shemp Duchamp said...

You question is based on a mistaken premise.

The three guys each paid 9$, for a total of 27$. You shouldn't add the 2$ - it is part of what they paid. Add the 3$ they got back to get to 30$, or subtract the 2$ to get the the 25$ cost of the room.

drunkbh said...

Is that why you dyed your hair red?
BTW- I will enjoy making you pay. Maybe I can volunteer you for something else. I still want a preview of the presentation