Friday, February 11, 2005

A Case For satellite Radio

I am one of the millions of people who believe that the FCC needs to calm the hell down and let people be responsible for what enters their homes or radios. In the age of V-Chips and channel blocking it seems fair to expect parents to control (or at least try to) what their children see and hear from the media. I guess this means I should be a supporter of satellite radio.

My specific problem is with the South Florida radio choices. Today the only current rock/alternative radio station in the Fort Lauderdale area suddenly changed into a Latin radio station. I can flip through my radio now and probably hear more Spanish spoken than English. That is an exaggeration, but I am pissed about this. Now I have the choice of listening to the "Latin and Proud" new station, Pop music that I can only handle for a few minutes, two reasonably strong country stations, one that's classic rock and a couple that play R&B. If I lived a few miles North I could listen to an alternative station, but I usually just get static where I am.

I understand that rock isn't exactly the mainstream music here in South Florida. That isn't a problem provided that you can hear it somewhere. This area is so current when it comes to R&B, Rap, Dance, and Pop, so why can't rock follow suit? It sucks to be one of 4 rock fans in the area. I guess satellite radio is my answer. Either that or I may be forced to become a country music fan. Funny I move to Florida from Texas (which has awesome rock and alternative stations) and decide to listen to country.

No comments: