Wednesday, January 26, 2005

P.E.T.A.?

A woman I work with told me yesterday that she is a P.E.T.A. member. I think it is all fine and dandy that people choose not to eat animals or use products that are either tested on them or those containing animal by-products. I am proud to be a vegetarian and feel it is a very healthy and responsible way for one to live their life.

My problem with this particular woman saying that she is a member, is that she has in the past ridiculed me for my views. Maybe ridiculed isn't the correct word. She never really meant any malice, but did give me somewhat of a hard time over it. She also eats meat, wears leather, and does tons of other things a P.E.T.A. member should not do by definition.

I do really appreciate the messages of P.E.T.A. and the fact that they do try to make a difference in the world. I have a problem enlisting myself though. My sister says that its members are crazy. I must admit that all the P.E.T.A. members I know are a bit out there. Including the meat-eating member I work with.

In all honestly, my problems with this lady goes much deeper than her strange views on Vegetarianism (I am not sure if that is even a real word). I suspect the sudden interest in the group may be directly due to a man. He said once that he believes that humans are supposed to eat meat and that it is the right thing to do. He says people like the two of us are just too compassionate to follow the norm. Our conscience won't allow us to eat normally. Being a P.E.T.A. member is supposed to impress him I guess. She has absolutely no chance at him. None at all. Just like she has no chance with any of the other men she harasses to go out with her. "Want to go have coffee sometime?" "I don't like coffee."

My real friends at work call her my twin. She seems to think we are so similar and that she is my competition. Who goes to work looking to get laid? She now dresses like me, wants her hair to look like mine (despite the fact that she is nearly bald), and has the same interests as me. It is kinda creepy! No, it is Single White Female. According to my friends: Single White Red-Head Female.
http://www.peta.com

No comments: